Thursday, September 25, 2008

First appointment


Today I met with the Nurse Practitioner and had my “check up” since I haven’t had one since March. Apparently two in one year is just not enough! Oh well, it won’t be the last time I’ll be “exposed” during the next seven months!  My blood work results were in, and everything looks good so far with the exception of my blood sugar. Apparently, I am borderline for having gestational diabetes – the level they consider to have GD is 140 and I am at 134. So, in order to be proactive, I am officially on a restricted diet. The good news is I get to eat six meals a day (okay, she actually said six small meals…). This means avoiding white, starchy foods (rice, bread, potatoes… you know, they stuff a Midwestern girl loves). Oh yippee!!!

Also, since I had pre-eclampsia with Sean, and I’m “older” (really, two years???), and 18 pounds more than I was pre-pregnancy with Sean, I’m considered high-risk to get it again. So, that means limiting my sodium (no cheese, chips, etc.). I’m sure by now you can see where I’m having problems with this diet restriction stuff!!! BUT, it is good for me AND more importantly the blueberry. Oh yeah, according to Babycenter, Baby Lance is the size of a blueberry this week!

I have been having some sharp pain in my left side (where my ovary is), so they wanted to do an ultrasound, just to make sure that it wasn’t an ectopic pregnancy (which they were almost positive it was not at this point). Turns out I have some kind of cyst on my left ovary that is pregnancy related. It causes NO harm to the baby which was my number one concern, and it won’t harm me either other than the annoying pain. Now we have to watch it to make sure the pain doesn’t intensify and that I don’t start bleeding – hopefully it will go away after the baby is born.

Thanks to the ultra-sound, however, we were able to get our first picture of our "blob", aka baby. Isn’t he/she adorable?!? He/she’s heartbeat was 146 – that is exactly what Sean was at 7 weeks! Since I’ve had SO many pregnancy symptoms with this baby that I didn’t have with Sean, I was thinking maybe girl… but now after seeing the heartbeat, I’m not sure! Anyway, sorry for the long post. Lots of exciting news to share!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

That's the cutest blueberry I've ever seen!

Heather, TJ, Brock, and Jillian said...

That's exactly what I was going to say... so I guess I'll have to say it is the cutest little blob I've ever seen! :)